Forum Central is a collective voice for the health and care third sector. We work to make sure our sector is involved and has influence in the overall strategic planning for health and care in Leeds.
The Forum Central service is delivered by the partnership of:
- Leeds Older People’s Forum
- Tenfold (the Learning Disabilities Forum) and
- PSI-Volition (Mental Health and Physical and Sensory Impairment Forum)
Together we have built on well-established working relationships with our key partners and we continue to develop new links and relationships with health and care partners across Leeds.
A focus of our health and care work is to showcase the activities of the third sector by:
- Helping others understand the impact and breadth of the sector
- Highlighting what the sector could contribute to new health and care landscapes
A key role for Forum Central is to recruit and support its members to be representatives on various health and care strategic groups in the city.
Health and Wellbeing Board
This is the partnership board in the city that oversees the strategic vision and delivery of health and care in Leeds.
The third sector representative is: Kerry Jackson, Chief Executive, St Gemma’s Hospice.
Community Providers Network
This Network is chaired by Thea Stein, the Chief Executive of Leeds Community Healthcare. The group brings together all the main community-based providers. They work together and develop new and potential ways of working, especially in light of the Five Year Forward View.
There are two third sector representatives:
Heather O’Donnell, Chief Executive, Age UK Leeds
Carol Burns, Moor Allerton Elderly Care
There are a number of groups in the city looking at what an effective health and care workforce of the future needs to look like. Part of their work is to look at:
- How we support people to “work with” people in a different way
- How we address shortfalls in being able to recruit to roles
We have recruited these third sector representatives to the groups:
Tina Turnbull, CEO, People Matters
Andy Rawnsley, CEO, Aspire
Ann Pemberton, CEO, Home-Start Leeds
Jane Li, Coordinator Manager, Home-Start Leeds
Andrew McDermott, Service Development Manager, Leeds CIL
Data & Digital
Data and Digital are described as two of the big ways that health and care systems can work more effectively together, as well as work in a different way with people. Forum Central is influencing this area from a health and care third sector perspective.
Information & Resources
Reports from Reps meetings
Read the latest reports from the meetings that Forum Central has representation on:
- Population Health Management (PHM)Programme (7 February 2019) – Hilary Brockway
- Clinical Strategy Group (Frailty): Population Health Management (PHM) Programme Subgroup (5 February 2019) – Hilary Brockway
- Population Health Management Programme Launch event (9 January 2019) – Hilary Brockway
- Health Leaders Network presentation of The Leeds Plan Refresh Third Sector Session (29 January 2019)
- Provider Partnership Board (25 January 2019 – Heather O’Donnell
- Mental Health Strategy T&F group (22 January 2019 – Phillip Bramson)
- MH & LD Programme Board (10 January 2019 – Ruth Kettle)
- Forum Central Mental Health Information & Strategy Session (11 December 2018)
- Provider Partnership Board (30 November 2018_ – Karen Pearse)
- Provider Partnership Board (30 November 2018) – Heather O’Donnell)
- Leeds Plan Delivery Group (29 November 2018)
- Better Conversations Stakeholder Event (14 November 2018)
- Health & Care Academy Project Board (13 November 2018)
- Partnership Executive Group (9 November 2018)
- Clinical Strategy Group (7 November 2018) – Heahter O’Donnell)
- Clinical Strategy Group (7 November 2018 – David Smith)
Exploring the Third Sector Health and Social Care Offer in Leeds (pdf)
A paper published by Forum Central providing a wide range of examples of third sector health and care services | March 2017
A paper published by Forum Central providing examples of third sector services having an impact on the need for acute care | July 2017
Leeds and York Partnership NHS Foundation Trust (LYPFT) provides specialist mental health and learning disability services in Leeds and across the Yorkshire and Humber region.
Advonet provides and supports advocacy in Leeds. Their ambition is to ensure everyone gets their needs heard and rights respected.
Health & Care – Strategic Information
Sustainability and Transformation Plan/Leeds Plan
In January 2016, NHS England announced that each local area or “footprint” needed to put together a Sustainability and Transformation Plan (STP). Over 2016, a significant amount of work went on in the city around this.
Supporting our members to engage and input into this was a priority for Forum Central.
Below are listed some of the highlights of this:
- Very positive input from third sector in all health and wellbeing board activities, throughout 2016 via the Health and Wellbeing Board third sector representative
- Presented to the STP development group in Summer 2016 to profile what the sector does and could potentially do in a new health and care landscape
- Inputted where possible into the developing “matrix” document for the Leeds STP over the summer
- Engaged specifically in two of the enablers – workforce and digital. Third sector members are now on the main workforce groups
- Agreement with CCG to fund a 1 day a week, 6 month post, for someone to work with the sector around data. This role starts at the beginning of Match 2017
- Meeting with Tom Riordan and other members of the Partnership Executive Group (PEG) to profile the role of the sector and ask to be seen as system leaders, especially in a developing health and care landscape
- Invitation for the third sector to join the Board of Boards, attended the meeting in December, where Tom welcomed the sector as “an integral part of the health and care system”
- On a West Yorkshire level, involved in initial discussions with Rob Webster, the lead for the West Yorkshire STP, to profile the third sector and request involvement at a West Yorkshire level and subsequent agreement for third sector involvement. Forum Central to support as one of the two third sector reps